Winter Holiday In Obertauern, Austria
Austria is a magical place, and our winter ski trip to Obertauern has left us wanting more!
This was our first ever snow experience together and although I haven’t been snowboarding in over 5 years, it was absolutely amazing.
We love to travel to summer destinations, but being in the snow together has been such a beautiful change of scenery! The towering mountains, the calming white landscapes, the peaceful atmosphere coupled with the crisp, fresh air all come together to give you this refreshing, peaceful feeling.
Once again we’ve been blown away by the variety of wonderful offerings this incredible planet has.
If you haven’t been on a ski holiday yet, it’s time to plan one. We created this travel guide to fuel your wanderlust! If you’re looking for the best winter ski destination in Austria, Obertauern is the place to go to.
Below we will link to everything we did, places you can eat (also vegan meals) and where to stay in Obertauern.
WHY WE LOVED OBERTAUERN, AUSTRIA
With over 100km of piste in Obertauern, there’s so much to explore. The ski slopes are ideal for advanced skiers or snowboarders, yet also vary in slope size and so it’s also a great place for beginners to learn how to ski.
Obertauern is also located close to Salzburg and just 2 hours from Munich, Germany making it a fun weekend getaway if you’re traveling from outside of Austria.
It’s definitely a great place to spend some joyful and relaxing days. The 2 things we loved the most were that we could literally ski to within 50m of our hotel (a true ski-in ski-out mountain) and the fact that we were 100% guaranteed real snow regardless of which date we chose for our trip between the months of November and May!
I could go on and on – we love this place!
THE BEST TIME TO GO ON A WINTER HOLIDAY TO OBERTAUERN
The winter season in Obertauern, Austria, starts toward the end of November and lasts until the beginning of May. To make the most out of your time, the best snowfall will be in December, January and February.
The weather for our ski trip to Obertauern could not have been better! Everyday was a fresh 0-3 degree celsius and we even had some fresh snow on our first day. The conditions on the mountain were also perfect to ski or snowboard.
THINGS TO DO IN OBERTAUERN
- • Skiing – 4 days, starting from 64 Euros for skis & 39 Euros for boots – depending on the season – Ski pass for 4 days 188 Euros
- • Snowboarding – 4 days, 85 Euros for a board & 39 Euros for boots – depending on the season – Ski pass for 4 days 188 Euros
- • Snow kiting – Trial 58 Euros
- • Snow biking – 79 Euros
- • Sledging by night – 5 Euros
- • Relaxing & Wellness (many hotels have a little spa area in-house – if you are active all day, your body definitely needs some quality time to rest)
- • Free riding (if you are up for the challenge, it’s a trip ‘way up high’ – it is possible to hire a guide)
If you want further information or book something, head to the Obertauern website HERE
WHERE TO EAT IN OBERTAUERN
- • Lürzer Alm (vegan salads and asian wok)
- • Seekarhaus (on the skipist, only very few options)
- • Fritz & Friedrich (amazing Asian food incl. the best sushi)
- • Rigele Royal (amazing food and the best vegan meals on request)
- • Steinbock (vegan options)
WHERE TO STAY IN OBERTAUERN
- • 4* Superior Hotel Rigele Royal (Food was great, Sauna is the best after a long day being active + in / outdoor pool)
- • Hotel Alpenland (great spa area)
- • DAV Haus (mid range, shared rooms available, good vibes)
- • Foxy Obertauern (modern, stylish, good price)
HIGHLIGHTS OF OBERTAUERN
- • Ski in Ski out – you are immediately on the piste once you walk out of your hotel. This is really cool feature of Obertauern, if you’ve been on a winter holiday before, you know exactly what we mean.
THE BEST WAY TO SPEND YOUR WINTER IN AUSTRIA: VISIT OBERTAUERN!
We love being by the sea, but nothing can compare to a winter ski trip with the one you love. We cannot wait to get back on the slopes and share more amazing snow content with you!
If you have any questions, drop us a message in the comment section below, or tag us in your photos! We hope you have the same incredible experience that we did.